Entrepreneurs, developers, community groups, innovators – enter the GeoVation Challenge for a chance to win a slice of innovation funding to help you develop your idea. There will be funding for ideas that make best use of Ordnance Survey data, including OS OpenData and Land Registry’s licensable data
How can we enable people in Britain to live in better places? See the ideas
This GeoVation Challenge ran from 10 September 2014 to 19 November 2014 (12 noon).
See who won our previous challenges on the winners page.
How does the GeoVation Challenge Programme work?
The GeoVation Challenge process works like this:
1. Review the challenge problem statements and think of an idea that may help address the current GeoVation Challenge question. Look at the problem statements to help you address this. Your idea will be specific to the social need framed by the current GeoVation Challenge, and geography will be central to its implementation. It must be innovative in that you are trying to implement something that will make a difference.
2. Post your idea. Register for the Challenge online and you can then submit your idea relating to the challenge theme posted on the website. By registering on the site you can:
- Setup your profile, describing your background, motivation, skills you offer and skills you are looking for
- Post ideas, comment on and rate others ideas
- Connect with people that share the same passions as you?
- Collaborate on with other GeoVators to identify and meet needs
- Create new and exciting solutions and ventures using geography
These questions may help you submit your idea
- What problem are you solving?
- Who are you solving it for?
- How painful is this problem for them?
- How is this problem currently solved? – The Competition (there always is some!)
- What ideas have already been submitted?
- How could you use Ordnance Survey data in your solution?
3. Those with the best ideas (finalists) will be invited to GeoVation Camp in Southampton. Selection criteria will be based upon the objective of the Challenge. As a finalist you will need to bring a team to GeoVation Camp to work on building your selected idea into a prototype enterprise or venture. You will also identify how to overcome challenges in implementing your idea, explore the skills and resources needed to sustain your idea and learn to pitch your idea ‘pecha kucha’ style.
See feedback from previous GeoVation Camps. During the weekend GeoVation camp you can:
- Clarify and test the need your idea addresses on stakeholders and potential end users
- Identify how to overcome the challenges in implementing your idea
- Explore the enterprise model that will sustain your idea once implemented
- Identify the skills, resources and support needed to implement your idea
- Develop and pitch your idea and brief implementation plan
- Identify other organisations and individuals you could work with to develop the idea further
4. Finalists pitch for a chance to win innovation funding. At the end of the weekend you will pitch your idea to the independent judging panel for the chance to win a share of funding to implement your idea. There will also be a “community” award voted for by the attending audience. Following camp successful ideas will be selected to receive funding subject to completion of a satisfactory venture plan. The judges will meet to review the venture plans and winners will be confirmed.
GeoVation may also offer further support to finalists to help them implement their ideas, where possible. GeoVation aims to provide support, if required; to help you get your venture going in terms of identifying the skills, relationships and contacts you may need.
Other awards may be introduced associated with all, or specific challenges.
|Dates for GeoVation Challenge Programme 2014|
|10 Sept – 19 Nov 2014 (12:00 noon)||Call for ideas.|
|11 December 2014||Selected ideas invited to GeoVation Camp|
|12 December 2014||Selected ideas posted. Registration for camp opens|
|16 – 18 January 2015||GeoVation Camp. Successful finalists announced
|18 February 2015||Funding amounts confirmed|
As always if you have any comments, ideas or random thoughts get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org