GeoVation is about helping communities address their unmet needs through the application of geographic data, skills and expertise.
GeoVation runs challenges to address specific needs within communities, which may be satisfied in part through the use of geography. GeoVation is a place where communities, innovative thinkers, geographic data, skills and expertise can get together for the benefit of communities and their needs. The GeoVation community consists of developers, entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs data providers, civil society, commercials, community groups, geohackers, map lovers, social enterprise start ups, data providers, education and government.
GeoVation and Ordnance Survey
GeoVation is initiated, funded and managed by Ordnance Survey, though other organisations may fund specific challenges or activities. Through its GeoVation initiative Ordnance Survey will encourage open collaboration in addressing communities’ needs where geography is a key enabler. Through open innovation, data, tools and information can be combined to create new ventures which generate social and environmental value.
GeoVation is open to all, for the benefit of all, using all geography.
- Identify communities’ needs that may be satisfied, in part, through the use of geography.
- Encourage the community of geographers to propose novel solutions and approaches.
- Make innovating with geography easier.
- Provide support to new innovations that use geography by connecting people with geographic expertise to those who require it in realising their objectives.
- Run GeoVation Challenges to solve specific problems or needs, identified by communities where geography is a key component to the solution.
- Run GeoVation camps where selected ideas can be prototyped and pitched.
- Run the GeoVation Challenge Programme
- Maintain the GeoVation website and blog
On GeoVation Camps:
It’s a great way to develop simple ideas into some thing more than just a dream or motivation to make something better. GeoVation help innovators build real businesses, confidence, and adds kudos to your project.
It was really nice to see that anyone can have a very small idea and for it to be just as valid as the more fully formed business plans. It seems like a very good opportunity for people to make connections and get advice in areas they are not sure about in a really risk free environment.
Brilliant, competitive environment, team building exercise, A 2 day think tank.
Go with an idea, listen to people with experience, have an open mind and be prepared to adjust both your approach to pitching and the parameters of your idea.
Enjoy!!! a thoroughly amazing experience which I would not have got anywhere else.
On the GeoVation Showcase:
Congratulations on a brilliant event, superbly organised. Thank you!
Keep up the good work GeoVation team!
Excellent event – indeed the whole process has been enlightening and particularly welcome the ‘openness’ of all those involved.